Saturday 12 March 2016

Rugby in Malmö

One of the things I was sad to leave behind in Australia was my rugby team, Onkaparinga, and my friends at the rugby club.

I thought I'd be able to go 18 months without rugby, but as we drove down the road towards our house we passed Limhamn sports ground and I saw the familiar shaped "H" goals.  The shakes started and like an addict I needed to get a fix.

That night I found Malmö Rugby Club online and they had an enquiries email address so I sent them an email.  I didn't get a reply and was thinking about not worrying about it, when Kris (my rugby enabler) found the Facebook and sent them a message.  Within about 10 seconds we got a message back welcoming both the kids and I to training.  They also offered Kris a shot on the girls team but her dodgy knee, back, legs, arm, spine, spleen etc wouldn't let her.

I was pretty worried when I headed out for the first training.  I wasnt sure what level these guys would be at and if I would really struggle with not being able to speak Swedish, but the training was great and I enjoyed meeting the guys.

It looks like I'll be able to play for both the senior team and the Old Boys (over 35 team).  The Old Boys are off to play in Romania at the start of June so I'm looking forward to my first ever international rugby tour.

One of the Team Photos - Note the Onka's shirt



 The kids also started training on Wednesday nights - Tomas and Cameron did the first training and then Tom decided he didn't want to do it anymore, so Alana stepped in instead:

Cam tries out his step against the coach in flag Red-Rover



Alana and Cameron playing netball rugby


No comments:

Post a Comment