Monday 7 December 2015

Legal Issues - How junk food led to a meeting with the police

We had just moved into our new place, it was just before 7pm and pitch black.  We were all tired and hungry and surrounded by Ikea boxes and unpacked luggage.

I set Kristine’s phone to GPS, with directions to Burger King and she set off to get dinner while I set up the mattresses for the kids.

By the time I had the mattresses set up and the doona and pillow covers on it felt like Kris had been gone for a while.  The Burger King was about 10 minutes away and I expected her back long before I’d finished.  But still, she had her phone and would have called if there were any issues.

I checked the time - 8pm.  The kids had school the next day and were starting to get tired and grumpy, so I sent them to get through the shower and change into their pajamas.  Where was Kris?  I resisted the urge to call her – she could call me if she needed and was probably just stuck in a massive queue at Burger King, or maybe having bit of a drive to explore our new area and the kids and I were fine.

At 8:30pm I started pacing, I picked up my phone to call, but then had to go split up a fight between the kids, who were hungry and tired.  I gave them their Ipads to keep them occupied and then my phone rung.  It was Kris.

She was pretty upset and explained that Googlemaps had crashed and kept issuing the same direction to keep going straight ahead.  She had picked up the Burger King but then ended up getting completely lost.  That might be ok in Australia where we knew the area, but she was in a new country, it was pitch black and raining and to make matters worse, she couldn’t read the street signs for three reasons:
1)      They are not always lit well or at all so they can be difficult to see and read from the road,
2)      She hadn’t taken her glasses and most importantly,
3)      They were all in Swedish.

Ok so that explained why she had taken so long, but why hadn’t she just reset googlemaps and used it to find her way back?  Turns out that when she realized it had sent her too far, she picked up her phone and started to set the location when it ran out of batteries and turn off.  She had no phone charger and no idea where she was.

She drove for a little while before seeing the Ikea sign in the distance.  One thing to note in Sweden is that often you don’t see much in the distance at night as there is low-lying cloud of fog, so she was lucky here.  She managed to get to Ikea and remembered that MediaMart (where we bought our TVs) sold car phone chargers.  After pulling into the car park, she ran to the door just in time to see them being locked.  She asked the security guard and he told her they were just closing and she couldn’t enter

Kristine burst into tears at this point (and justifiably so), so the security guard took pity on her after she explained her situation and let her in.  She grabbed a phone charger, paid and returned to the car.  The charger she grabbed had a molded (rather than disconnectable) cigarette jack connector rather than a USB plug and when she opened the centre console, she saw that there were only USB jacks.  Fortunately Kris remembered there was a cigarette jack in the boot (as MediaMart was well and truly closed by now) and she managed to get her phone charged.  From there she tried Googlemaps again but it crashed again.  That’s when I got the phone call.

By now it was 9pm, the 10 minute trip to get takeaway had taken about 2 hours so far.  It was too late for the kids so I made them sandwiches and then while they were eating, I got Kristine to set the phone on speaker while I opened my (more stable) googlemaps and tried to direct her.  This didn’t really work too well initially as Kris needed to leave her phone in the boot to charge and so it didn’t pick up her voice well and I got a lot of static or missed words.  Also (as I mentioned above) she couldn’t readily read or pronounce the street names so I was struggling to find where she was on my map.  I was getting “I’m on Nort*static*atan road” and the last thing you want to do when someone is upset and worried is ask them to repeat themselves four times. Eventually I remembered that the car had a Bluetooth phone connection and got her to pullover and dock the phone and that at least made it so we could talk clearly.  But it didn’t help the problem of where the hell she was. I managed to find the street she was on, but I didn’t know which direction she was heading as there were no landmarks or other signs.  Then there was the problem that the directions were to landmarks we didn’t know or that were not easy to find on a googlemaps screen.

Eventually after I was pretty sure she was going the right way, she saw a police car on the side of the road, pulled over and run up to the driver.  We found out later that the car was guarding Malmö Stadium where there was a game vs Denmark going and they were concerned with terrorism after the attacks in Paris.  So really she was lucky that the officer responded calmly to having a semi-hysterical woman screech to a halt and charge at his car.

When she explained her situation he was very sympathetic and gave her directions (pretty much to keep going the way she was going – so my directions had been pretty good).  She arrived home at about 9:45pm with a bag of ice-cold take-away and a deep abiding hatred of Googlemaps.

While we dined on microwaved hamburgers (definitely not worth the 3 hour wait) we couldn’t help but laugh and suggest that we need to not rely on technology so much and buy a map.

This wasn’t Kristine’s last run in with the police either.  A few days later she parked in the school carpark without realizing that it is a ticket parking zone (in fact pretty much all of Malmö is – I’m sure if you crashed a car into the canal and it sank to the bottom you’d end up with a parking fine if you didn’t buy a parking ticket for it). 600kr (about AUD$100) felt a bit harsh for 15minutes parking.

1 comment: