Monday 22 February 2016

Day 1 of the Winter Break (22/02/16)

Yep, that's right, the kids have a week off.... I suppose it makes up for the fact that they only get the four days of Easter off, and that is it until June.

This week is 'traditionally' a week dedicated to sport. The region puts on activities for all children, and 95% of the activities are free. The catch is with most of them you need to register 2 weeks before the event (and the pamphlet only came home on Thursday).
So, after looking at the 17 page online brochure (malmo.se/kulifem) I shortlisted a few ideas. Peeking out the window revealed a sunny day, so something outdoors it was going to be!

The details of the days plan was kept from the kids until we arrived at our destination- which was not too hard. It was only when they saw the lake, the fish shaped sign and we were greeted with "Vill du fiska" they started to put it all together. Yep, their horrid mother had decided to take them to try trout fishing!

After been given a rod each, and a casting lesson (on the grass) were we pointed towards the lake with a "good luck". Luck would have been good, good luck it seemed was pushing the boundaries of possibilities.

Our fishing adventure started with Tom's line being tangled under the reel cover (oh, the reels were closed, and you essentially hold them upside down with the eyes on the top of the rod, not under it like I am used to) which took over 20 minutes to untangle. Alana and Cameron had to be reminded that over-arm swinging casts where NOT safe, or needed. How none of us ended up with a lure to the face I'm not quite sure. Eventually they got the hang of the casting, and were happily throwing their lines in.
The Lake
Cameron fishing, Alana and Tomas removing pond weed.
Mum lost my lure (it flew off mid cast) and I think I'm ok just watching everyone.

About the time I had finished fixing Toms line, Alana snagged her line in a bush on the bank. No amount of tugging would get it out, so I carefully picked my way through the thorn bushes to get to it. Here, again luck would have been handy, but alas, it was not to be. The steep side of the lake meant that I could not reach the lure. The only other was was through the water. So, boots and socks were taken off, jeans rolled up and into the drink I went. I got the lure, and a very real idea of just how quick and deadly ice water submersion can be.
Retrieving Cameron's lure

After another 15 mins of casting from the pontoon the feeling returned to my feet and lower legs, and the kids asked to try from the nearby jetty.

More casting, lots of pond weed catching, lures removed from trees, and another wade into the lake to remove a stuck lure (Cameron's this time) and we had hit the 3pm closing time for the lake. Not a fish was seen near us. We know they were in the lake as we heard someone yell "Papa, fiska!! Papa, Papa, Fiska, FISKA!" and we had seen one someone had caught just as we arrived.

In all, the kids had a great day. It must have been, as Cameron told me "this was more fun than sitting playing Minecraft all day". I will take that win, and hold it tightly!

Just a word of warning to others who might think going into frigid water is ok if it is to retrieve your kids fishing lure... If the cold does not kill you, the underwater blackberry brambles might.
Left ankle- the picture does not quite do it justice. It might be a few days before I can get a sock over the scratches. This is due to getting a band of bramble caught around my ankle and not being able to get it off. 
Side/ back of my right leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment